Rahul Gandhi Hails Jharkhand ‘Dialogue’, Says Talks With Students Are the Right Way
Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi has welcomed the understanding reached between the Jharkhand government and protesting students, describing dialogue between the two sides as the “right way” to resolve grievances.
Gandhi’s remarks came after the Hemant Soren government announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and recruitment examinations conducted through outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL), following weeks of protests over alleged irregularities.
The student agitation had intensified over alleged irregularities in government recruitment examinations. Job aspirants had been demanding action against alleged malpractice and greater transparency in the examination system.
The protests continued for more than three weeks and included a hunger strike by several students. Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto had been on hunger strike for 16 days before ending it after the government’s announcement on the disputed examinations.
Gandhi said the students’ decision to end their hunger strike following talks with the government was encouraging. He praised Chief Minister Hemant Soren and the state government for choosing dialogue rather than confrontation.
According to Gandhi, when students raise questions, they should receive answers. He also said that students should be heard and their concerns addressed through democratic engagement.
The Congress leader had intervened in the matter shortly before the breakthrough. On August 17, he wrote to Hemant Soren urging the Chief Minister to personally meet representatives of the protesting students and take appropriate steps to resolve their grievances.
Gandhi’s intervention was politically significant because the Congress is a constituent of the JMM-led ruling coalition in Jharkhand. His appeal therefore placed pressure on the state government while also publicly aligning him with the concerns of the protesting job aspirants.
The Congress leader has also attempted to present the Jharkhand developments as part of a larger national issue concerning India’s examination and recruitment system. He said he stands with students across the country and argued that the system should reward hard work and provide fair competition.
The Jharkhand government’s decision, however, has created a fresh complication. Candidates who had already cleared the JSSC-CGL examination and secured government appointments have protested the cancellation, arguing that they should not lose their jobs because of alleged irregularities in the examination process. Reports indicate that around 2,000 selected candidates could be affected.
The government has simultaneously moved toward wider examination reforms. It has announced measures including investigations into recruitment examinations, institutional reforms and a proposed fast-track mechanism for cases involving examination irregularities.
Student leader Devendra Mahto has also indicated that the movement could enter a second phase. Rather than stopping at cancellation of disputed examinations, the students are now seeking a recruitment system that prevents paper leaks and other irregularities in future examinations.
The political response has extended beyond the Congress. RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav praised the Jharkhand government’s approach toward the protesting students, while BJP leader Babulal Marandi has demanded a CBI investigation into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.
For Rahul Gandhi, the Jharkhand episode provides an opportunity to make student employment and examination transparency a broader political issue. His emphasis on dialogue also comes as student protests over recruitment examinations continue to generate political controversy in several parts of the country.
The immediate challenge for the Jharkhand government will now be to convert the agreement with protesting students into concrete reforms while addressing the concerns of candidates whose selections or appointments are affected by the cancellations.
For the students, the end of the hunger strike marks an important breakthrough, but not necessarily the end of the controversy. The credibility of JPSC and JSSC recruitment, the fate of affected candidates and the government’s promised examination reforms are likely to remain closely watched in the coming weeks.
