Jharkhand Cancels JSSC-CGL Recruitment Exam After 24-Day Student Agitation
The Jharkhand government has cancelled the 2024 Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination, accepting one of the principal demands of students who had been protesting alleged irregularities in the state’s recruitment examination system.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the decision on August 17 after a marathon Cabinet meeting. The government also decided to cancel examinations conducted by the private outsourcing agency TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL) and the results associated with those examinations.
The decision came on the 24th day of a sustained student agitation in Ranchi. Several protesters had also resorted to hunger strikes to press their demands, including cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and an independent investigation into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.
The government’s announcement immediately triggered celebrations among the protesting aspirants. Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto, who had been on a prolonged hunger strike, ended his fast after the government announced the cancellation. Other protesting student leaders also called off their hunger strikes.
However, the government’s decision does not bring the entire controversy to an end. The protesting students have continued to demand a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe, while the government has announced investigations through state agencies and a broader review of recruitment examinations.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren said investigations by the Crime Investigation Department (CID) and Special Investigation Team (SIT) had brought several incriminating facts to light. He also said the government would examine recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and JSSC going back to 2014.
The controversy is not limited to the JSSC-CGL examination. TDPL had been associated with several recruitment examinations conducted in Jharkhand over the years. The government’s decision therefore extends beyond one examination and covers TDPL-conducted recruitment tests and their results.
The government has also announced the formation of an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal. The committee is expected to examine weaknesses in the recruitment system and recommend measures to make future competitive examinations more transparent and reliable.
The immediate political and administrative challenge, however, is the fate of candidates who had already cleared the JSSC-CGL examination and obtained appointments. The cancellation has created a sharp divide between protesting aspirants who demanded that the examination be scrapped and candidates who say they legitimately cleared the examination and secured government employment.
Those already appointed have protested against the cancellation, arguing that candidates who were not involved in any alleged malpractice should not be punished for suspected irregularities in the examination system. Reports indicate that these employees are considering legal action to protect their appointments.
This has turned the government’s decision into a complex legal and administrative issue. On one side is the demand for an examination free from manipulation or malpractice; on the other is the principle that candidates who were selected through an officially conducted process should not automatically lose their employment because of alleged wrongdoing by others.
The number of affected candidates is also becoming a major point of concern. Reports have cited different figures for candidates appointed through the CGL process, with some reports putting the number at around 1,800 and others reporting approximately 1,975 affected employees. The precise number and the status of each appointment will depend on the government’s formal cancellation orders and subsequent administrative action.
The controversy has also intensified because the JSSC-CGL cancellation comes amid a wider investigation into alleged irregularities in Jharkhand’s recruitment examinations. The CID has already taken investigative action in cases linked to recruitment examinations, including searches at the JSSC office and questioning of officials.
The state government now faces the difficult task of conducting a comprehensive investigation while simultaneously restoring confidence among thousands of job aspirants. Any future recruitment process will be closely watched because the credibility of the examination system has become a central issue.
For protesting students, the cancellation represents a major victory because their demand for scrapping the controversial JSSC-CGL examination has been accepted. But their movement has not completely ended because the demand for a CBI investigation remains unresolved.
The government’s decision could therefore mark the beginning rather than the end of the recruitment controversy. The next major questions will be how the cancelled examinations are replaced, what happens to candidates who have already been appointed, whether fresh examinations will be conducted, and how the state establishes safeguards against future irregularities.
The Jharkhand episode has also raised a wider question about public recruitment in India: when an examination is alleged to have been compromised, where should the line be drawn between protecting the integrity of the selection process and protecting candidates who may have secured appointments without any wrongdoing?
For thousands of young people preparing for government employment, the answer will have consequences far beyond the JSSC-CGL examination. The credibility of future recruitment examinations—and the government’s ability to demonstrate that selection is fair, transparent and legally sustainable—will now be under intense scrutiny.
